Welcome to the World of Squeak!
Squeak is a modern, open source full-featured implementation of the powerful Smalltalk programming language and environment. Squeak is highly-portable - even its virtual machine is written entirely in Smalltalk making it easy to debug, analyze, and change. Squeak is the vehicle for a wide range of projects from multimedia applications, educational platforms to commercial web application development.
Take Part in the Innovation
Noteworthy uses of Squeak
- Etoys is a powerful script-based environment to learn science and math by encouraging exploration and experimentation.
- Seaside is a framework for developing sophisticated dynamic web applications by using Continuations dramatically easing the complexity of web application development.
- Croquet is an open source software platform for creating deeply collaborative 3D multi-user online applications. It features a network architecture that supports communication, collaboration, resource sharing, and synchronous computation among multiple users.
- Sophie is a digital media assembly tool to combine images, text, video, and audio into a single multimedia document such as slideshows, presentations and annotated videos.
- Scratch is a new programmable toolkit that enables kids to create their own games, animated stories, and interactive art -- and share their creations with one another over the Net. Scratch builds on the tradition of Logo and LEGO/Logo, but takes advantage of new computational ideas to make it easier to get started with programming (lowering the floor) and extend the range of what kids can create and learn (raising the ceiling).
See our Projects page for more!